<b>Beyond Pink Stripes</b>

Random musings, stories, snapshots, and reviews from the "little" girl with several abandoned blogs who suddenly finds herself inspired to scribble once again after coming into her senses and realizing that there's more to LIFE than PINK STRIPES.☺

Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Day After the Accident

Before any reader starts freaking out, I'd like to start by emphasizing that the person involved in the accident is fine now, except for the fact that his wounds are still painful but no broken bones or anything worse than that.:)

On with the story.

Yesterday, my already hectic afternoon at the office was further rattled by an SMS I received from the Hubby saying that "Tito" got hit by a speeding motorcycle while walking on the pedestrian lane just outside our subdivision. The Hubby who followed my mom to the nearby hospital to assist in tending my injured uncle was obviously furious at the 24-year old offender who's not even from our City. @_@

It's the first time that someone from our household has figured in a road accident. So right there and then, I formed an evil image of the offender and all sorts of questions came into my mind such as HOW CAN THE DRIVER BE SO RECKLESS? HOW THE HELL CAN SOMEONE NOT RESPECT THE PEDESTRIAN LANE?  

After work, I rushed to the hospital and saw the offender in flesh. Huh! Good thing he did not attempt to escape or else...(Then again, how could he? His motorcycle was immediately confiscated by our City's traffic division Boys! Kudos to them, to Marikina Rescue 161 and most especially to passers-by/neighbors who quickly responded to the situation and extended much needed help) Anyway, I didn't utter a single word but shot him a nasty nasty nasty look. I then proceeded to check on my uncle who, thank God, was in a condition way better than I imagined. 

After several tests in the hospital, next up was the settlement at the police station. My uncle did not press charges anymore out of pity and in the spirit of forgiveness. However, the offender was made to shoulder the financial damage.

To cut the story short, we were able to go home after a long day. We rode the jeepney home not knowing that we would meet another "accident" - the tire right under our seats suddenly exploded in the middle of the road!!! Another good thing for that fateful day though, the vehicle was being driven at low speed so it maintained its balance and all the passengers were able to alight unharmed. I couldn't thank God enough for sparing us. I don't think I'd be able to take two road accidents in a day!@_@

I know my uncle's accident yesterday is nothing compared to those which resulted to heavy bloodshed, paralysis, or even death. But still, accident however petty, is something that nobody would want to wish for, right? 

Yes I am ranting because I have a little hangover but at the end of the day, I guess it's also nice to see the silver linings of it all. To name a few:

1. I am amazed with how "in-laws", despite the fact that they're not blood-related, can truly be a family supporting each other in times of adversity. Case in point: My uncle is actually my mom's brother-in-law. My Hubby is an "in-law" to both my mom and uncle. And they were the ones who were together during the accident (I got into the picture only towards the end :)) An awwwwwww moment indeed!

2. To be fair to the offender, he seemed apologetic to my uncle, and even to my mom. He did not talk to me and Hubby, probably out of fear because we were the ones who maintained an unfriendly aura until the end. I would like to assume that the unexpected nice treatment from my uncle, despite what happened, had taken its toll on him. I do wish he would always remember the incident and always tread the road (literally and figuratively) with utmost care. But most especially, I wish he'd pay it forward and exhibit kindness to other people as well.

3. Recalling my mom's account on how people helped in making the rescue possible, I can't help but think that yeah, "bayanihan" is still existent.

4. God loves us so much that He gave this wake-up call to us. It made us realize that anything can happen in an instant so we should always be ready to face Him. Need I say more? 

I am quite happy with all the silver linings but going back to road accidents, I still wish to emphasize something. It's up to anybody to agree with me but I'm telling it anyway.



Roads are not made solely for vehicles, these wheeled things should not reign supreme over people. Lack of respect for pedestrian lanes is lack of respect for humanity!

End of my sharing.:)

2 comments:

  1. I DO AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS --- Roads are not made solely for vehicles, these wheeled things should not reign supreme over people. Lack of respect for pedestrian lanes is lack of respect for humanity!

    ReplyDelete

Readers' insights are greatly appreciated. Please do leave a comment or two. Thank you!:)

For utmost convenience, you may comment using the NAME/URL option and use your FACEBOOK URL if you don't have any website/blog.:D